Monday, January 6, 2014

Good Ole' Ganderland!

Dear Family and Friends, 
    I want you all to know that I am alive and well! The snow is up to our eyeballs and we are stuck in our apartments, but we will survive. We are doing our best to stay warm in this unfamiliar, strange weather that is going on. We are Michiganaries and the work must go on!!!!!!!! :D An't that just awesome! 
So you may or may not be wondering about the subject line. So the people in Michigan are called Ganders and so I am serving in Ganderland. True Ganders have a Michigan accent, meaning they end a lot of their words in s, so Walmart is Walmarts and how are you is Hows are yous. It's pretty great, I love it here. So this week.... 
Monday: We had dinner with a couple from the ward and they took us out to a Japanese Steak House. It is one of those places where they cook food in front of you. I ate sushi everyone!!! I ate it and I liked it!! I know crazy!!! They also gave us a ton of food. It lasted about 3 days. Yummm!!!
Tuesday: This day was so so so cold. There was an awful wind chill and Sister Whipple and I were out in the boonies!!!!! I actually started to get a headache from the cold and that is something that I have never experienced. Also we didn't talk to like anyone cause the drives are like a quarter of a mile long out there!! There was a super nice woman, the very last door we knocked on, who invited us in and gave us hot chocolate. Have you ever had a cup of hot chocolate after being super super cold. It is the most wonderful feeling in the world. Best cup of hot chocolate ever!!!!!!! 
Wednesday: We taught Austin about the priesthood and now he is preparing to receive it!! Oh funny story. We had some young men come and the deacons quorum president was there. He was trying to help Austin understand something and he said "Being a missionary is hard..." it was so funny!! We were like yeah it is!! 
Thursday: We planned Dakota's baptism which will be on Friday night and we are just so stoked!!! We also taught our new investigators Meagan and Lamont. They are awesome and we are so excited to teach them some more!!! They reacted really well to the Book of Mormon!! Also they have like a 5 month old and an almost 3 year old! We are seeing them this week and we are excited!! 
Friday: We ate at the Kim's home. They are Korean and they made awesome Korean food!! Being a missionary I have definitely broaden my horizon!
Saturday: We got Courtney's phone number!!!!!!!! He is an investigator and it is pretty great!!!! 
Sunday: Church is great. I love church. We went and saw Austin and Dakota. I love them, they are great. I am learning a lot when it comes to teaching kids. I still love them and I really want them to understand why learning the gospel is so important. After the lesson Sister Whipple said I am going to be a great mom. I was very grateful for her comment! 
I'm not exactly sure what my special scriptural thought is today..... awk. 
For your enjoyment here is a wonderful poem about being in Michigan. 
It's Winter in Michigan
And the gentle breezes blow
Seventy miles an hour,
At thirty-five below.

Oh, how I love Michigan
When the snow's up to your butt.
You take a breath of winter air
And your nose gets frozen shut.

Yes, the weather here is wonderful,
So I guess I'll hang around.
I could never leave Michigan

'Cause I'm frozen to the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment