Monday, March 31, 2014

Williamston near the heart of the Mission!

Dear Family and Friends,
     As some of you may know if you read the letter last week I have been transferred to Williamston which is outside East Lansing. The crazy thing is that I don't actually live in Williamston it is like 15 minutes away. I actually like in Okemos in another ward's boundaries..... it is a little weird, but hey it works! It is pretty different from Midland and it is a bummer not really knowing my area as well and getting to know a whole new ward again, but I am determined to get to know the area and ward just like I did Midland! It is crazy though because I have already seen President Hess once and Sister Hess twice which is totally awesome!!!! There are a lot of benefits for being near the heart of your mission.
This past week....
Monday: Packing for transfers has been the most stressful part of my mission thus far. Sure I can knock on a strangers door and invite them to come closer to Christ no problem, but ask me to pack a bunch of stuff in a limited amount of space and I can't do it. Don't worry I made it to transfers, but it did cross my mind to call President Hess and say I can't leave Midland because I couldn't pack all my stuff.
Tuesday: Wake up early, drive to Mt. Pleasant, leave the area you love, drive to Lansing, meet your new companions, feel a little lost, but then remember that the Lord has called you to this new area and that he will help you get used to it. That is pretty much what this day was like. It is always a little hard the first day because you have no idea who or what your companions are talking about and you feel a little lost. I am so grateful I have a testimony that the Lord knows where we need to be and when we need to be there it makes me feel a lot more peaceful about transfers.
Wednesday: It was my first day ever taking public transportation. Yup, I road that bus for the first time ever in my life and let me tell you this bus route thing is confusing and I was nervous and I am so glad that I have companions who know what they are doing! We did however talk to a nice gentleman he wasn't interested in the gospel, but he was super nice!
Thursday: Whenever you get a new companionship you have to learn how to make it work and how you can incorporate all the different ideas together and that is what we did. We meshed 3 different people's ideas together and we are trying to get this trio thing to work well. I have great hopes for this area!!!
Friday: We met with our investigator Clair and she is so prepared! We taught the plan of Salvation and she loved it! She has a baptismal date for April 19th. We just need to get here to church and to feel the spirit there then I she will progress even more to baptism.
Saturday: We door knocked all day. I am finding that all over Michigan a lot of the people are the same... they all have a church they already attend to which is great, but they don't have all the truth. I am still trying to figure out a way to teach them this without getting a door in the face. I'll keep working on that, if you have any ideas shoot me and email!
Sunday: New faces!!! Before church started I stood in the back of the chapel and I went through the members with Sister Flora. I pretty much quizzed myself before sacrament started so I could get to know the ward members. Like I said earlier I really want to get to know this area well and the members as well, it makes the work so much better!
Spiritual Thought: This morning I was studying and I read 1 Nephi 19:7-9 and it talks about how Jesus Christ was spit upon and ridiculed for being kind and loving the children of men. At first that made me think that as a missionary it is okay to be persecuted because Jesus Christ, the very person we represent, was ridiculed and killed for being righteous. As I pondered a little more I started to think about today's society and how they believe Good is Evil and Evil is Good. We will be mocked and laughed at for standing up for what is right, but we must know in our hearts that what we are doing is right. It doesn't matter what society thinks of you, what matters is what Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ think of you. I know that when we choose the right and stand up for those things we bring joy to our Father in Heaven. I know that it is hard to stand up for those things especially if you are standing up to those you love and if you are standing alone, but always remember that the spirit is with you and that you are never alone. Remember the primary lyrics, "He is always near me though I do not see him there. And because he loves me dearly I am in his watchful care so I'll be the kind of person that I know I'd like to be if I could see the Savior standing nigh watching over me." I know that we are always being watched over and cared for. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
Love Always,















Sister Miranda Smith 

No comments:

Post a Comment